Thursday, September 12, 2013

Imogene Pass Run Results

I'm not a competitive runner by any means but have ran all my life since I was in school wrestling. I competed in some adventure racing while living in Las Vegas as well. I have wanted to run a marathon too. When Laura mentioned she wanted to run the IMR, I was in as well. Unfortunately she injured her calf training for the run so she was unable to compete.

After completing the Colorado Trail Race I figured my legs were good to go for a little run up to 13,000 feet elevation. I did some training runs up to Imogene, etc to ready myself for the run. My longest run was 15 miles. Imogene is 17.1 miles: 10 miles up and 7.1 miles down with 5300 feet of climbing.

Race morning was uneventful and the run started with over 1200 runners competing. My legs felt really good going up the initial climb and all the way up to the top. I was able to run to mile 7 or so and than the grades ramp up pretty fiercely so it becomes a fast hike pace. I passed nearly 30 people at this point. I was in good spirits. My good buddy and riding partner Shawn Gregory was running the race as well and I hadn't seen him since the start. I just kept going hoping to keep a gap on him. It's a friendly rivalry we have, even though we are on the same team. LOL!!!

I made it to the top utilizing the numerous aid stations eating up bananas and M&M's. Super food on a run like this. I topped out at the summit in 2 hours and 22 minutes. I was stoked knowing I could possibly have a time of under 3.5 hours. I had an hour to get down the 7 miles to Telluride. I was feeling good on the way down with runners passing me. WTF...I was going as hard as I could go. Than again, these people were true trail runners with me being a cyclist running a trail race. Keep going I told myself as hard as I could. With about three miles to go I started feeling a blister form on my left heel. Not on the back but underneath. What the hell. I just ignored it as best as possible and went as hard as could knowing the blister was getting bigger and bigger. I crossed the finish line in 3 hours and 24 minutes! I was pretty happy. I was expecting a time of 4 hours or so. I placed 10th in my age group out of 84 runners. I was also top local guy in my age group. Shawn finished in 4:15. His knee bothered him on the down hill due to a previous bike crash.

It's been 5 days sine the run and I feel good expect the horrible head cold I acquired the day after the run. Coincidence or me just beating the crap out of my body did it? Dunno. Keep on keeping on I say.

My co-worker Nancy finished in 4:26. Nice job girl!!! I'll be back next year hoping to finish closer to 3 hours. I can improve my down hill for sure.

I'm thinking a marathon is in my near future. Hmmmm.....................................but first I need to kick this cold and hope to be able to ride my Rico 100 this weekend.

Run on!

No comments: