Monday, August 13, 2012

Escalante Days XC Race 2012

I rarely race XC anymore but once a year the Escalante Days race comes around and I feel the need to support a local race and to fly the team colors. I am a sponsored rider so the obligation is there. And it is only 35 miles down the road to Dolores. The competition is always fierce and it was no different this year. Even though they break it down in age groups its always about the overall win in the single speed class. This year my time was the same as last years but I was down a few spots in the overall SS class. I took 2nd in age group and 5th overall. Not horrible at all. I felt good throughout the race and rode my bike like I stole it. The Salsa Selma is a great race bike. No complaints. I ran a 32x19 which is what most of the racers in the single class rode. It was a battle to the end with one single speeder (Colavita rider) overtaking me on the gravel road back to town after I had lost a few seconds crashing in a mud puddle. My bad for thinking I could ride through it. I believe a 3D racing guy beat me in my age group. I had caught him in Bean Canyon but he got away from me. Jeff Fox from my team was right on my wheel throughout and I just kept pushing the pace while riding clean through the rocky sections to put a gap on him and hold it to the finish. Dave Lefevere from Telluride won the single speed class for the third year in a row. He had a time of 2:10 while I was back at 2:15. It's tough out there I tell ya!!! Teammate Terry Gorsuch took second overall with a time of 2:11. Good race and good times with good people.

Me, Jeff Fox, Chris Horton and Terry Gorsuch.
The 29er Salsa Selma Ti single speed. Race ready!

It's always about the hardware!

No comments: