Thursday, January 17, 2013

Frigid

For the first time in 10 years I will not be traveling to Tucson to compete in the 24 Hours in the Old Pueblo. There isn't any particular reason.....just not doing it. So, for the first time in a long time I have not tried to beat my self into the ground training for this race when our snow starts flying in December. It's been nice. My first race/ride will be the Fat Bike Challenge in Telluride on February 23rd, but its not a race, just a fun ride with a bunch of like minded peeps. The nest ride will be in Sedona on March 9th. I'm looking forward to getting back to Sedona, it's been about  a year since I was last down there.

This past week I have gotten on the fat bike on my days off which have been screwy lately. The sked at work is odd at times and I'm not really digging it.

Anyways, the temps dipped down into the negatives. Despite the cold I got out on the bike on last Saturday and it must have been close to -10 to -20 degrees with the wind factor. I was pretty miserable coming back down HWY 145 with the arctic wind in my face. I learned a few things on that ride.

Lizard Head Pass in less than desirable conditions.

Lizard Head Pass.....cold is an understatement. 

While on the Dunton Road (FS535) the sun came out for a few minutes. Short lived. 

Looking toward Flat Top/Barlow Creek area from Dunton Road.



When I finally arrived home from that ridiculously cold ride it took awhile for my feet and hands to get warm. I had bar mitts with two layers of gloves on and was still cold on the way back home. I had my feet covered in thick wool socks (Woolie Bullies) knee highs with my Spez Defroster winter shoes with Gator neoprene shoe covers. The toe warmers I stuck in earlier weren't working either. I was actually worried about my right foot until I finally got feeling back in it. It's hard to figure these rides out. Start with too much clothing /gear on and you sweat too much climbing and get cold on the descent.It's the game of winter riding.





No comments: