Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Escalante Days XC Race


Out front leading the start of the race.
 The Escalante Days XC race in Dolores Colroado this past Saturday was another tough one. Aren't they all! The weather conditions were near perfect with it being a bit warmer than last year. I had ridden every day during the week leading up to the race with a light spin Friday in Rico the day before. I knew my legs would not be the freshest up the hill. Give it hell is all I could do. We hit the hill and four single speeders were in front of me (Dave Lefevere, Steve Reiter, Robin and some dude from 3D racing) . Damn. Not much I could do but ride my ride and not fret. Hopefully I would catch some of them but knowing the course as I do I know it is hard to catch anybody once in the single track unless mechanicals come into play. I had Max from Telluride on my wheel with his music blaring away with Terry Gorsuch not far back. Max flatted in the  Maverick trail in the big drop and now it was Terry chasing me like Sasquatch. He eventually caught me in the Boggy trail area and went around me which played to my favor as all I would do now is ride his wheel (talk him to death as well) and see what would happen on the climb out of Bean Canyon. He couldn't drop me. Terry and I were all alone for the next 10 miles or so and as soon as we started the climb out of Bean canyon Terry started to fade. I said I would get in front and pace but he quickly faded off of my wheel and I soon caught a geared full suspension rider (full Pivot Bikes kitted dude) and passed him at the bottom of the last climb. Now I was sitting 10th overall in expert/pro class and all I had to do was keep on the gas. Also back on the descent into Bean Canyon we passed a single speeder with a flat. The 3D Racing guy. One down and still three single speeders up front. I hit the pavement to the downhill finish and passed Robin from Durango on the road as he was fixing a flat as well. Alright, another single speeder down so only two single speeders in front of me. The day was looking brighter and brighter. I finished 3rd overall single speeder and 1st in my age group and 9th overall expert/pro rider. I'll take that! I finished in 2:15:59. A bit slower than last year. Terry came in at 2:17:20 with Shawn Gregory in at 2:20:21 (amazing he raced with 500 miles in the legs from his Colorado Trail Race finish a week prior.) Dave Lefevere finished first again with Steve Reiter in second position. Great race everyone.




Cortez Journal write-up here: http://www.cortezjournal.com/main.asp?SectionID=2&SubSectionID=2&ArticleID=16445

No comments: