Sunday, March 6, 2011

Moab Big Friggin Loop

Early and cold.
WOW!! What a great weekend in Moab. As Charlie Sheen says; WINNING!!! LOL!!
6 dudes showed up on single speeds for a 5.30am training ride start on Saturday morning near the Sovereign Trail Head on Willow Springs Road. Temps were around 30 degrees or less when I awoke at 4.30 am with highs to be around 60 degrees. And these dudes know how to ride. Also these 6 dudes are the CORE of the new Kokopelli Bike and Board Bike Racing Team. Yep, they are forming a new team and they are badass!! Basic summary of the ride: Nearly 12 hours out in it.......60 miles of pedaling.....6k of climbing..........super, super, super, super soft loamy riding conditions (Deal Breaker sucked) and lots of classic Moab sand and multiple mechanicals and me having the worst crash of the day on a ledge drop on Metal Masher. No broken bones but man does my arm and hip hurt like it should be broken. Can I get a medic!!!?? Dropped a ledge and the tire hit at an awkward angle causing the tire to burp and blow out (1" rip in the tire) and me hitting the slickrock with hardly a micro second to react. I was on the rock face down. All teeth and facial bones intact. I can take a full hit as I have never broken a bone. This one should have broken something but I am like no other. Tiger blood here folks. LOL!!!
Tough terrain and tough dudes to ride with. TR Larson; Shawn Gregory, Kiviok Hight; Paul "bad ass" Adams; Jeff Fox and myself.
Happy Bday to TR. Laura baked him a cake and we celebrated out in the desert after our ride. Beer, elk burgers and steak fries were in abundance. Good freaking times!!

Pictures courtesy of Kiviok HIght and Paul Adams.


Pictures not in order but enjoy.














Cruising down Gemini Bridges Road.






Kiviok and Shawn posing.




Laura to the rescue when Kiviok had a ss problem on his 6k carbon bike.


TR and Paul having fun.



Me laughing at TR while I'm dancing.







Kiviok missing a critical part on the SS.





Me recovering after my crash on Metal Masher. That is not a smile but rather a grimace. Shit is hurting.




Little Creek Rim after climbing up Metal Masher.





TR having tire problems.

TR still having tire problems.




Shawn enjoying.










Lunch break.






Shawn fixing Kiviok's ss.




Heading over to the green monster.








Trust me guys!!! I know where I'm going.




















Were going over there??? Yep.






Thanks Laura for the rescue with parts for Kiv's bike.





Paul dancing.




Classic Moab sand over on Wipe Out Hill route.







After my crash a bit dusty. As Shawn stated..."well there isn't any bones sticking out so you must be fine" or something silly like that.

TR and Paul enjoying the day thus far. It was a slow start with tire issues and Kiv's ss issue but we soon got on it.
TR looking for food.
Jeff Fox didn't want to be in the picture and rode on. LOL!!
Left to right...Paul Adams, Shawn Gregory, TR Larson, me, Kiviok Hight.


Shawn next to his new Ford Raptor that Laura drove to meet us for Kiv's bike repair.









We will be over there in 5 hours or so...............

Ergon packs breaking. TR is over it.



TR attempting a tire repair. Very painful to watch.





1 comment:

Padams said...

Nice post! Great pics. I think we all had a little tiger blood in us this ride. Awesome time!